Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Weekend being a tourist!


I think Forrest had fun! We definitely saw our share of Philly! I had a few de ja vu moments, but other than that - a great time! We started our adventure at Reading Terminal market for a lunch of slouvaki and fries followed by a heavenly cannoli!  Once we were stuffed, we headed over for our tour of Independence Hall. Our tour guide was entertaining although I'm glad I wasn't up near the front as he was spraying people as he excitedly talked about the history that took place right where we were standing. He obviously loved his job.  Then we were off to see Liberty bell - it was smaller than I remembered.

We then headed down Market towards Penn's landing and wondered what was going on as hundreds of other people were headed the same way. It happened to be the Red Bull Flugtag happening on the Delaware River in Camden. Teams of people build contraptions that are supposed to fly, run them off a platform, straight into the river.

From there we squeezed in Elfreth's Alley, Christ Church, Betsy Ross's house and finally a Starbucks (to recharge - at least for me!) We then walked about 20 blocks back to the hotel.  Forrest got to see a big city up, close and personal.

Sunday morning was the surprise of the weekend. I booked a Segway tour of the city, but hadn't told Forrest. I made him guess for a week, but alas, he never got it.  We stopped at the truck unloading them and said "Surprise" - the look on his face was priceless!  We had a great tour of the "Backyard of Philly". Art museum, Kelly Drive, Boathouse row - and those segways are fun - I want one! I'm ready to go again - Forrest only wiped out once :) And I think I got the aunt of the year award!

It was  a great weekend of history, culture, fun and bonding with a smart 15 year old who I'm proud to have as my nephew!

No comments: