Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 1 - Volunteering for Lucky Dog!

I decided to volunteer for Lucky Dog Animal Rescue - starting yesterday. A transport arrived from South Carolina with about 70 dogs who were rescued from high-kill shelters. The dogs were all in crates stacked to the ceiling and sometimes 2 dogs in a crate. It was a cold and rainy afternoon, but it was great to see the amount of volunteers and adopters who showed up!

About half of the dogs were adopted right off the transport. Don't get the wrong idea - these adopters have to go through an application process and a home visit, but it was great to hear Mirah call out the dogs name and the new adopters come forward and rescue their new family member. We all cheered every time that happened and there were lots of "oohs" and "ahhs!"

I helped walk Cecely a very scared Scottie mix - she went home with another foster mom. There were too many fosters that showed up last night so I went to the adoption event today in Rockville.

Most of the afternoon I helped handle a St. Bernard - Brandy! What a STRONG dog! She's about a 100 lbs but when she was brought in to shelter this summer - she was only about 70! She's doing great now and also looking for her forever home. Check out her profile here: www.luckydoganimalrescue.org

No comments: